Title: Manager OR Senior Associate, Communications and Digital Media
Employer: Responsible Investment Association (RIA)
Location: Downtown Toronto
Hours: Option to work 30 hours or 37.5 hours per week
Application deadline: June 30th, 2017
Start date: July, 2017
We are seeking a Manager OR Senior Associate, Communications and Digital Media who understands how to engage an audience through traditional and digital communications channels. You are a tech-savvy communicator and storyteller who will leverage your communications expertise to manage our internal and external digital tools and platforms, maintain & strengthen the RIA’s brand, grow our reach, and promote education and awareness about responsible investing to the general public and investment industry participants.
Reporting to the COO and Head of Communications and Member Affairs, you will join a small team of professionals working in a startup-style environment in which everyone wears multiple hats to contribute to the success of the organization. In addition to your primary responsibilities related to communications and digital media, you will also perform some administrative duties and provide support with events and conferences.
Primary responsibilities: communications & digital media
- Develop and implement a communications strategy for the RIA to grow our reach, enhance our brand, and strengthen our digital and traditional media presence.
- Manage the RIA’s digital communications tools and platforms including the website, social media, mobile app, online courses, e-newsletter, etc. This includes regularly updating the RIA website and other digital platforms.
- Create visual content such as infographics, slide decks, charts, and other visual aides to promote education and awareness about responsible investing and various RIA initiatives.
- Prepare and layout a wide range of documents including reports, fact sheets, slide decks, wall certificates, name badges and signage for events, etc.
- Draft and edit copy for blogs, media releases, etc.
- Manage internal communications tools such as the CRM, contact lists, webinar and conference call software, etc.
Additional responsibilities: administration & events
- The RIA Conference is our organization’s flagship event. As such, you will join other staff members in managing various aspects of the RIA Conference – both leading up to and during the conference.
- Coordinating RIA events.
- Note-taking at meetings and roundtables.
- Other duties as assigned by senior management.
The following skills and experience are required for this position:
- Minimum 3 years of experience working in a digital communications role in the investment industry, corporate sustainability, or nonprofit/association sector.
- Passion for storytelling and engaging an audience. You are creative, can write excellent copy and pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to edit images and layout documents using Adobe Photoshop/InDesign.
- Experience running successful social media campaigns.
- Experience with WordPress and basic HTML.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Post-secondary degree in a relevant field.
The ideal candidate would also possess the following skills and experience:
- Drafting media releases and pitching content to media.
- Planning/management of corporate events.
- UX, SEO, and measurement tools such as Google Analytics would be a bonus.
- Financial literacy and demonstrable knowledge of investment. Knowledge of responsible investing would be ideal.
- Candidates who lack a basic understanding of investment must complete an online course within the first 60 days of employment on their own time. The candidate will receive full reimbursement of course fees upon successfully completing the course.
- Bilingualism would be an asset (French and English)
- You are passionate about societal issues such as sustainable development, human rights, diversity, good corporate governance, etc.
- You are an independent self-learner. If you don’t know how to do it, you figure it out and find a way to get it done.
- You are a highly adaptable team player – always ready to take on responsibilities both within and beyond your job description to contribute to the success of the organization.
- You maintain a standard of excellence in all of your work.
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary for nonprofit organization.
- Health and dental benefits after completing three-month probationary period.
- 6% RRSP contributions after one year of employment.
- Two weeks of paid vacation, plus the RIA office is closed between December 24th and January 1st which amounts to a total of three weeks of vacation per year.
- Work-life balance: Option to work 30 or 37.5 hours per week.
- Be part of a small team of investment professionals who are helping to create positive societal change in the investment industry!
How to apply
Please send your resume and cover letter as a single PDF to RIA COO Dustyn Lanz [email protected] with the subject line, “Communications and Digital Media Position.” Your cover letter should be no more than one page, and the filename of your PDF should follow the format, “FirstName_LastName_Application.”
About the Responsible Investment Association (RIA)
The Responsible Investment Association (RIA) is Canada’s membership association for Responsible Investment (RI). Members include mutual fund companies, financial institutions, asset management firms, advisors, consultants, investment research firms, asset owners, individual investors and others interested in RI. Our members believe that the integration of environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors into the selection and management of investments can provide superior risk-adjusted returns and positive societal impact.
The Responsible Investment Association’s purpose is to:
- support the responsible investment activities of its members.
- promote and support an integrated reporting framework in which there is standardized disclosure of material ESG information.
- promote the integration of ESG factors into investment analysis and decision-making processes.
- promote the practice of responsible investing in Canada.
Learn more at www.riacanada.ca