Employer: Responsible Investment Association (RIA)
Location: Downtown Toronto
Hours: Option to work 30 hours or 37.5 hours per week.
Application deadline: September 28th, 2018
Start date: October, 2018
We are seeking a Manager, Research, Policy & Collaboration to join the RIA at our office in downtown Toronto. The Manager will manage the RIA’s research and policy work, and will work closely with our institutional member firms on collaborative initiatives. The Manager will play an important role in our ongoing effort to advance responsible investing in Canada. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, you will join a small team of professionals working in a startup-style environment in which everyone wears multiple hats to contribute to the success of the organization.
- Drafting letters for regulatory and public policy consultations.
- Identifying opportunities for engagement with government and regulators on issues related to responsible investing, corporate sustainability disclosures, etc.
- Managing relationships with regulators and government officials.
- Managing the RIA’s research projects. This includes analyzing survey data, as well as the development and execution of surveys, reports, and other deliverables.
- Drafting articles for the RIA’s online magazine and other media outlets.
- Curating content for the RIA’s monthly newsletters.
- Presenting market trends, research findings, and other insights at industry & public events.
- Facilitating the meetings of the RIA’s institutional working groups. This includes representing the RIA at meetings, contributing to the development of meeting agendas, and administrative duties to plan and support the meetings.
As we are a small team, all staff must periodically perform duties outside their core responsibilities. This includes the following accountabilities:
- Curating and coordinating content for the annual RIA Conference, and playing a management role at the conference and other RIA events.
- Representing the RIA at external industry events.
- Coordinating the event calendar for Responsible Investment Week.
- And more.
Required skills and experience:
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the investment industry, preferably in the field of responsible investment.
- Demonstrable knowledge of policy & regulatory landscape in Canada’s investment industry.
- Proven research & analytical competencies.
- Outstanding writing skills. (You are the grammar police)
- Exceptional interpersonal skills. (People really like you)
- Public speaking skills.
- Project management skills.
- Post-secondary degree in a relevant field. CFA would be an asset.
- Strong competencies with PowerPoint, Word, Excel + ability to quickly learn and adapt to new software applications.
- Bilingualism would be a valuable asset (EN/FR)
- You are passionate about societal issues such as sustainable development, human rights, diversity, good corporate governance, etc.
- You are an independent self-learner. If you don’t know how to do it, you figure it out and find a way to get it done.
- You are a highly adaptable team player – always ready to take on responsibilities both within and beyond your job description to contribute to the success of the organization.
- You maintain a standard of excellence in all of your work.
- You are highly professional in demeanor and presentation.
What’s in it for you
You will love working with the RIA. We promote work-life harmony, and we have a great office culture that you’ll want to be part of! We also offer:
- Competitive salary for a nonprofit organization.
- Health and dental benefits after completing three-month probationary period.
- 6% RRSP contributions after one year of employment.
- Three weeks of paid vacation, plus the RIA office is closed between December 24th and January 1st which amounts to a total of four weeks of vacation per year.
- Be part of a small, energetic team of investment professionals who are helping to create positive societal change in the investment industry!
Please send your resume and cover letter as a single PDF to [email protected] with the subject line, “Application for Manager Position.” Your cover letter should be no more than one page, and the filename of your PDF should follow the format, “FirstName_LastName_Application”.
About the Responsible Investment Association (RIA)
The Responsible Investment Association (RIA) is Canada’s membership association for Responsible Investment (RI). Members include mutual fund companies, financial institutions, asset management firms, advisors, consultants, investment research firms, asset owners, individual investors and others interested in RI. Our members believe that the integration of environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors into the selection and management of investments can provide superior risk adjusted returns and positive societal impact.
The Responsible Investment Association’s purpose is to:
- support the responsible investment activities of its members.
- promote and support an integrated reporting framework in which there is standardized disclosure of material ESG information.
- promote the integration of ESG factors into investment analysis and decision-making processes.
- promote the practice of responsible investing in Canada.
Learn more at www.riacanada.ca