Employer: Responsible Investment Association (RIA)
Location: Toronto preferred
Start date: Ideally by mid-December
Application deadline: October 22nd, 2021
About the Responsible Investment Association (RIA)
The Responsible Investment Association (RIA) is Canada’s industry association for responsible investment (RI). The RIA aims to drive the growth and development of RI in Canada, with a vision to align capital with sustainable and inclusive development as codified in the Paris Agreement and the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Our members include asset managers, asset owners, advisors, and service providers who support these objectives. The RIA has over 500 members including approximately 360 individuals and 140 institutions. Our institutional investor members collectively manage over $29 trillion in assets.
Due to the pandemic, our staff are working remotely and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to the office in a hybrid model. Our office is located at 700-111 Peter Street in Toronto.
The RIA is a strong proponent of diversity and strives to foster an inclusive workplace culture driven by purpose, wellness, development, and productivity. We encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups, including but not limited to: Black and Indigenous communities, people of colour, women, members of the LGBT2Q+ community, and people experiencing disabilities.
The RIA is seeking a visionary leader with an entrepreneurial spirit to oversee the organization’s operations and programming. As a consultative team leader and effective communicator, the CEO plays a fiduciary role in representing the RIA and stewarding its resources. Reporting to the board of directors, the CEO is responsible for executing the RIA’s five strategic priorities:
- EDUCATE – Promoting RI education for the industry and the broader market.
- CATALYZE – Catalyzing market development and promoting market integrity.
- ADVOCATE – Advancing a policy/regulatory environment that is conducive to RI.
- BUILD – Building our brand and reputation as the hub and leading voice for RI in Canada.
- GROW – Growing our financial and human capital resources to strengthen our capacity.
View more details about the RIA’s strategic priorities here: https://www.riacanada.ca/content/uploads/2021/01/RiAStrategicPriorities2021_FINAL_Web.pdf
The RIA offers a competitive compensation and benefits package for a non-profit organization.
- Develop an annual work plan to execute the RIA’s strategic priorities.
- Lead, coach, build, and develop the RIA’s team of 10 staff based in Toronto.
- Act as the voice of the RIA, speaking at industry events, engaging with regulators, and delivering thought leadership, member communications, and media interviews.
- Lead revenue growth, budget management, and financial oversight to position the RIA for long term growth and financial sustainability.
- Identify and manage exposure to potential risks including financial, operational, legal, and reputational risks.
- Oversee the RIA’s operations, including process optimization and the development of strategic initiatives, events, and educational programming.
- Protect and strengthen the RIA’s brand and reputation.
- Oversee member services and identify opportunities for new services and programs.
- Manage relationships with board members, Leadership Council, and other key stakeholders and continuously engage with members and partners.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience with at least 5 years of experience in responsible investment (RI) and demonstrable experience building and leading teams. Experience leading a membership-based organization would be a valuable asset.
- Strong knowledge of the RI market, ESG issues, and related trends.
- Exceptional management skills with demonstrable experience covering financial management, operations management, program management, project management, and stakeholder management.
- Well-developed writing, public speaking, and media spokesperson skills.
- A strong track record of business development, sales, and fundraising experience.
- Knowledge of the investment regulatory landscape in Canada.
- Exemplary ethics and strong knowledge of good governance.
- Bilingualism (French and English) would be a valuable asset.
- Post-secondary degree in a relevant field of study. Designations such as an MBA, ICD.D, or CFA would be considered an asset.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and ability to quickly learn other software applications.
- You have an entrepreneurial spirit, meaning you are a problem solver who is adaptable, resourceful, and committed to turning ideas into action with limited resources.
- You are resilient, meaning you are adaptable and able to overcome challenges.
- You are decisive and able to perform well in ambiguous situations.
- You are highly organized and efficient with your time.
- You are savvy with digital platforms, willing and able to quickly learn software applications that are new to you.
- You are able to perform well at strategic and tactical levels.
- You are able and willing to travel as needed, within Canada and internationally (post-pandemic).
- You are passionate about responsible investment and committed to working towards a sustainable and inclusive business landscape.
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter and resume as a single PDF to email@example.com with the subject line, “CEO Position.” The filename of your PDF should follow the format, “FirstName_LastName_Application.”