Employer: Responsible Investment Association (RIA)
Location: Toronto (Exceptional candidates in Montréal or Vancouver will be considered)
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Start date: November, 2021
Application deadline: Please apply ASAP as interviews are booked on a rolling basis. This advertisement will be online until the position is filled.
About the Responsible Investment Association (RIA)
The Responsible Investment Association (RIA) is Canada’s industry association for responsible investment (RI). The RIA aims to drive the growth and development of RI in Canada, with a vision to align capital with sustainable and inclusive development as codified in the Paris Agreement and the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Our members include asset managers, asset owners, advisors, and service providers who support these objectives.
Due to the pandemic, our staff are working remotely and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to the office. When we return to the office, it will be in a hybrid format. Our office is located at 111 Peter Street in downtown Toronto. Exceptional candidates in Montréal or Vancouver would be considered for a remote position.
The RIA is a strong proponent of diversity and strives to foster an inclusive workplace culture driven by purpose, wellness, development, and productivity. We encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups, including but not limited to: Black and Indigenous communities, people of colour, women, members of the LGBT2Q+ community, and people experiencing disabilities.
As Communications Specialist, you will join a small team of ten staff members working to advance responsible investment (RI) in Canada. You will manage and execute communications projects and you will be our in-house writing and communications specialist. You will work collaboratively with cross-functional teams to develop and deliver social media & PR material, marketing material, and educational content, and other content related to responsible investment and sustainable finance.
- Manage small and large communications projects, in collaboration with cross-functional teams, such as annual report, announcements, website content, social media, newsletters and thought leadership content.
- Write educational content for the RIA’s website, magazine, online courses, infographics, explainer videos, and other channels.
- Develop and implement a multi-channel communications strategy, including email, social media and media relations strategies.
- Draft communications material in both English and French languages. Perform small scale translations as needed, and coordinate with our external translator for larger scale translations.
- Copyedit and proofread written materials.
- Manage communications calendar in collaboration with Communications Coordinator.
- Report on website and social media analytics to capture and optimize performance.
- Develop and implement marketing plan for key RIA projects and programs, such as events, courses, credentials, membership and more.
- Write marketing material for various RIA projects and programs.
- As we are a small team, the Communications Specialist is expected to help with other tasks as needed to support the success of the organization.
- Bilingualism (French and English) required.
- 5 years of experience in a professional communications or marketing role, preferably in the investment industry.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant field of study such as business, professional writing, journalism, communications or marketing. Master’s degree in a relevant field of study would be an asset.
- Exceptional writing skills in English & French.
- Proficiency in curating and collating information from various sources and communicating complex information in a succinct, accessible format.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Teams.
- Knowledge of and/or proficiency in graphic design would be an asset.
- Familiarity with the following software would be an asset: Photoshop, Google Drive, Dropbox, Slack, Salesforce, Apple Pages, Formstack, and SurveyMonkey.
All applicants must possess strong competencies in these five areas:
- Communications Strategy and Execution – You have the experience required to develop and execute a multi-channel communications strategy that will support the growth and development of RIA’s brand, membership, programming and strategic priorities.
- Writing – You have outstanding writing skills, and you can easily adapt your writing style for social media, web content, media or editorial content. You have the ability to communicate complex ideas in a clear, concise, and cogent manner. You excel at curating and collating information from various sources and summarizing it for different audiences.
- Project Management – You have experience managing complex, collaborative and fast-paced projects.
- Reporting & Performance Management – You have the technical and analytical skills to capture, understand and report on the RIA’s communications performance. You are able to use reporting and past performance to inform and improve the organization’s communications strategy.
- Investment Knowledge – You have a working knowledge of Canada’s investment industry, including key media outlets.
- You are a “high achiever,” never satisfied with less than excellent outcomes.
- You are highly organized and efficient with your time.
- You are industrious & adaptable, and you have an entrepreneurial mindset. In other words, you have a way of thinking that enables you to overcome challenges, be decisive, and accept responsibility for your outcomes.
- You are savvy with digital platforms, willing and able to quickly learn software applications that are new to you.
- You are happy to perform tasks outside your job description to help your colleagues.
- You are passionate about societal issues such as sustainability and inclusion.
What’s in it For You
- Competitive salary for a non-profit organization.
- Health and dental benefits after completing three-month probationary period.
- 6% RRSP contributions after one year of employment.
- $1,000 annual credit for professional development activities.
- $1,000 annual credit for wellness expenses.
- Three weeks of paid vacation (FTE), plus the RIA winter office closure between December 24th and January 1st, for a total of four weeks of paid time off.
- When it is safe to return to the office, you will work in a bright, modern office space in downtown Toronto with sit-stand desks and nearby access to public transit. Exceptional candidates in Montréal or Vancouver would be considered for a remote position.
- Be part of a small team of professionals who are helping to create positive societal change in the investment industry!
How to Apply
Please read these instructions carefully. Applications that do not follow these instructions will not be considered.
Please prepare your application as a single PDF, composed of the following materials in the following order:
- Cover Letter – Your cover letter should explain why you are interested in this position and why you would be an asset to the RIA. The cover letter should be no more than one page.
- Résumé – Your résumé should be between 1-3 pages.
- Writing sample – Please submit a writing sample, either as an attachment in the PDF or via hyperlink in your cover letter. A blog or article would be suitable.
Send your application as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Communications Specialist.” The filename of your PDF should follow the format, “FirstName_LastName_Application.”