First Environment, Inc.
91 Fulton Street
Boonton, New Jersey
Tel: 973.334.0003 | Email
Phil has over 28 years of environmental, health and social impact assessment experience. He has recently joined First Environment Inc. in New Jersey where he is focused on environmental systems management, carbon consulting as well as responsible investing for institutional investors including Green Bond framework design and assurance. Prior to joining First Environment, Phil was Director, Carbon Advisory Services for KPMG Canada. While at KPMG he co-author the recent international Thought Leadership entitled “Gearing up for Green Bonds.” While at American Reinsurance (now part of Munich American Reinsurance, Phil managed a $25 million strategic investment fund. The fund focused on strategic environmental, health and social loss prevention and cost control. His responsibilities included opportunity screening, financial impact assessment, due diligence as well as the investor’s Board of Directors representative to several start-up companies. Phil has also served on the University of Toronto’s Environmental Finance Advisory Committee as well as an adjunct professor at Rutgers Graduate School of Business teaching classes in Product and Services Innovation and e-Commerce focused on start-up companies.
Professional and Industry Experience
Phil holds a doctorate in Civil and Environmental Engineering with graduate minors in Applied Statistics and Computer Science. He also holds an MBA in finance and has completed the Venture Capital Institute (VCI) graduate program in alternative investment assessment and financing. He is a professionally certified Greenhouse Gas Verifier (CSA Cert. #5503A) and certified GHG Quantifier (CSA Cert. #0006B). Phil is also the first RIA Member to become a certified Responsible Investment Professional.
Phil has served on the Peer Review committee for Underwriters Laboratories (UL) Environment Sustainability Standard ULe880 and the Advisory Board for Carbonfund.org making strategic recommendations to maximize financial, environmental and social impacts. He has also published and presented extensively on low-carbon initiatives as well as on US and Canadian climate regulations. Relevant experience includes the following:
- Vice President, Strategic Investment, American Re-insurance managed $25 Million environmental strategic investment Fund – resulting in over $3 million annual savings in avoided negative environmental and healthcare impacts.
- Climate impact subject matter expert related to Climate change Adaptation in Aboriginal and Northern Communities: The Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development (DIAND).
- Assist Vice President, Am-Re Services, responsible for headed Technology Transfer team to identify and foster commercial development of innovative environmental, healthcare and social impact technologies designed to prevent future losses and liabilities.
- Keynote Speaker: Understanding the Transition to a Low-Carbon Economy, Carleton University, Ottawa – Green Seminar.
- Technical reviewer of Ontario Ministry of Environment’s Business Architecture – O. Reg. 452/09 carbon Cap & Trade.
- Authorized bidder for the first Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI) –“Auction 1” in the US.
- Senior Technical Reviewer for the first biomass to energy regulatory offsets to be sold in North America resulting in significant additional revenue from the sale of carbon offsets (Alberta).
- Lead verifier for the first manufacturer (Ontario) to be listed as carbon neutral under CSA’s CleanStart™ Registry.
- Lead validator for Translink GHG reduction projects for Mass Transit expansion under BC climate regulations.
- Developed framework for issuing carbon credits related to demand-side energy efficiency projects paid for via an innovated social funding mechanism – municipal funding districts.
- Serviced as an Expert Peer Reviewer for U.S. EPA on the use of advanced decision support software to assess environmental, health and safety impacts of contaminated sites.