Employer: Responsible Investment Association (RIA)
Location: Downtown Toronto
Tentative start date: , 2019
Application deadline: Interested parties should apply ASAP
About the RIA
The Responsible Investment Association (RIA) is Canada’s industry association for responsible investment. RIA Members include asset managers, asset owners, advisors, and service providers who support the RIA’s goal of promoting the incorporation of environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues into investment decisions. ESG issues are some of the most important drivers of change in the world economy today.
We currently have seven core staff members, and the Head of Operations & Programs will be the eighth person to join our growing team of investment professionals who are helping to create positive societal change in the investment industry.
As responsible investment is growing rapidly in Canada and globally, we are expanding to introduce the role of Head of Operations & Programs. Reporting to the CEO, you will provide leadership and oversight for diverse business activities, as well as program management of the organization’s professional development initiatives.
As a member of the senior management team, you will lead a team of dedicated professionals to drive extensive and sustainable growth in a startup-style environment. In this role, you will help to strengthen the RIA’s capacity to execute its five strategic priorities for driving the growth and development of responsible investing in Canada’s retail and institutional markets.
- Plan and monitor the day-to-day running of the business and annual workflow cycle to ensure smooth progress towards organizational objectives.
- Work closely with the CEO to establish, revise, and implement policies that promote best practices, organizational culture and vision.
- Lead employees to encourage maximum performance, engagement and development.
- Manage relationships/agreements with external vendors/partners.
- Participate in board committee work, coordinating work flow and liaising with committee members.
- Oversee projects to ensure their successful delivery, on time and on budget.
- Ensure that the organization runs in compliance with established regulations.
Professional Development Programs
- Oversee the RIA’s professional development programs, including certification, course updates and development, CE credits, and CE content curation.
- Strategize, implement, maintain and grow professional development programs and initiatives.
- Plan and develop scope, deliverables, required resources, work plan, budget, and timing for new and existing professional development initiatives.
- Develop assessment protocols for program governance, evaluation, and improvement.
- Maintain organizational standards of satisfaction, quality, and performance.
- Oversee and coordinate program staff, ensuring program goals are reached.
- Manage budget and funding channels for maximum productivity.
- Undergraduate degree in business or relevant field is required. Graduate degree would be an asset.
- CFA, ID.D, FSA, RIPC, and SIPC designations would be an asset.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant work experience, with at least 2 years of proven operations leadership experience managing a multi-disciplinary team of direct reports, preferably in the investment industry.
- Demonstrable knowledge of the investment industry is essential; knowledge of responsible investment would be an asset.
- Experience working with boards of directors would be an asset.
- Bilingualism (French and English) would be an asset.
What You’ll Need To Succeed
- You are passionate about societal issues such as sustainable development, human rights, diversity, good corporate governance, etc.
- You are a respected leader who is sought out for opinions and counsel.
- You have a strong bias for action and exemplary work ethics. You commit fully to stretch goals and are dedicated to achieving the strategic direction of the organization.
- You have sound knowledge of project management and delegation.
- You are a collaborator who builds consensus and is adept at resolution management.
- You are agile and resourceful in managing new and ambiguous professional situations.
- You have executive presence and highly developed written and oral communication skills.
- You shift easily between hands-on, day-to-day operations and strategic thinking.
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary for a non-profit organization.
- Health and dental benefits after completing three-month probationary period.
- 6% RRSP contributions after one year of employment.
- Three weeks of paid vacation, plus the RIA office is closed between December 24th and January 1st which amounts to a total of four weeks of vacation per year.
- Work in a bright, modern office space in downtown Toronto with nearby access to public transit.
- Be part of a small team of investment professionals who are helping to create positive societal change in the investment industry!
- Please send your resume and cover letter as a single PDF to email@example.com with the subject line, “Head of Operations Position.” The filename of your PDF should follow the format, “FirstName_LastName_Application.”
- In your cover letter, please explain why you are interested in this position, and describe how your experience will help you to succeed in this role.