RIA Members include asset managers, asset owners, advisors, and service providers who support our mandate of promoting responsible investment in Canada’s retail and institutional markets. Our institutional members collectively manage over $42 trillion in assets.
The RIA has five strategic priorities for driving the adoption of RI in Canada’s retail and institutional markets. Review our progress in our 2022 annual report.
- EDUCATE – Promoting industry and market education about all RI strategies
- CATALYZE – Playing a leadership role in catalyzing market development and integrity
- ADVOCATE – Advancing a policy/regulatory environment conducive to RI
- BUILD – Building brand and reputation as the hub and leading voice of RI in Canada
- GROW – Growing financial and human capital resources to strengthen capacity
The RIA’s predecessor, the Social Investment Organization (SIO), was established in 1990 to advance socially responsible investing (SRI) in Canada. The SIO played a central role in building and developing SRI in Canada for 23 years.
In 2013, the SIO was rebranded as the Responsible Investment Association to evolve with the industry and to encompass the broader scope of responsible investing, which incorporates environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues into the selection and management of investments.
RIA in Action
- We host the annual RIA Conference to provide education on the latest issues & trends in the field of responsible investing.
- We also host smaller events such as ESG Product Knowledge for Retail Advisors Event Series.
- We coordinate the Fall Forum Series, collaborating with members and partners across Canada to host events throughout the fall.
- We conduct research for the annual Canadian Responsible Investment Trends Report to track the growth and development of responsible investing in Canada.
- We release quarterly reports on the performance of RI funds.
- We also conduct the annual RIA Investor Opinion Survey to track individual investors’ interest in RI and related issues.
Board of Directors
|GPC||Governance Policy Committee|
In the Press
Advancing RI Through Peer Learning
The RIA serves as Secretariat for an institutional Canadian RI Working Group. The purpose of this Working Group is to leverage diverse networks and expertise to facilitate peer learning regarding responsible investment, and to help achieve the common goal of growing the RI industry. The Working Group is participant-driven and focuses on topics decided by the participants. Participants include CIOs, Portfolio Managers, Researchers, Analysts, VPs, Directors, Managers and other decision-makers from asset management firms and asset owners such as foundations and endowments.