Global Sustainable Investment Review 2020
The Global Sustainable Investment Alliance (GSIA) released its biennial Global Sustainable Investment Review, revealing an industry that has grown to US$35.3 trillion as it transitions to one more focused on the short- and long- term impacts generated by investors.
- Global responsible investment has reached US$35.3 trillion in five major markets, a 15% increase in the past two years (2018-2020)
- Responsible investment assets under management make up a total of 36% of total assets under management
- Responsible investment assets continue to grow in most regions, with Canada experiencing the largest increase in absolute terms over the past two years (48% growth), followed by the United States (42% growth), Japan (38% growth) and Australasia (25% growth)
- The US and Europe continue to represent more than 80% of global responsible investing assets
- Canada is now the market with the highest proportion of responsible investment assets at 62%, followed by Europe (42%), Australasia (38%), the United States (33%) and Japan (24%)