Genus Capital Management
Project: Driving awareness and demand for responsible investments
Genus Capital is the architect of Canada’s first suite of fossil free funds, and pioneer of Canada’s divest-invest movement.
As the first firm in Canada to create investment strategies tailored towards a sustainable future, Genus has been at the forefront of educating Canadians about the importance of divestment, ESG and responsible investment.
In 2019 Genus has:
- Published 3 educational reports on responsible investing
- Conducted 2 seminar sessions, attended by 200 Canadians
- Spoken at 5 conferences and events
- Advised 5 leading universities and numerous foundations on divestment strategies
- Implemented a responsible investment mentoring program to finance students at Simon Fraser University, and conducted a class on sustainable investing at BCIT
As a result of Genus’ leading role in driving awareness and demand for responsible investments, Genus has seen a shift in attitude, among investors, organizations and corporations, and greater adoption of Fossil Free investing.
As of September 2019, the total Assets Under Management of Genus Fossil Free is $530,818,860.53, a 41% increase from $376,105,143.89 in September 2018. In twelve months, the number of investors using Genus’ Fossil Free® Funds also rose by 33%. Genus Fossil Free screens out fossil fuel industries, high carbon intensive industries, controversial products (tobacco, armaments, or gambling), companies with low overall ESG scores, and those with widespread or very harmful controversies.