Employer: Responsible Investment Association (RIA)
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
The RIA Team is growing! This new Finance Administrator role is an opportunity to join our dynamic and exciting not-for-profit organization. As this is an immediate vacancy, interviews will be booked on a rolling basis.
About the Responsible Investment Association (RIA)
The Responsible Investment Association (RIA) is Canada’s industry association for responsible investment (RI). The RIA aims to drive the growth and development of RI in Canada, with a vision to align capital with sustainable and inclusive development as codified in the Paris Agreement and the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Our members include asset managers, asset owners, advisors, and service providers who support these objectives.
Please note that staff are currently working from home. Once it is safe for staff to return to the office, work will take place in a “hybrid” format. Staff will work from home on some days, and at the office on others to facilitate collaboration and teambuilding. Our office is located at 111 Peter Street in downtown Toronto.
The RIA is a strong proponent of diversity and strives to foster an inclusive workplace culture driven by purpose, wellness, development, and productivity. We encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups, including but not limited to: Black and Indigenous communities, people of colour, women, members of theLGBT2Q+ community, and people experiencing disabilities.
As Finance Administrator, you will join a small but growing team working to promote responsible investment in Canada. Reporting directly to the Head of Finance & Admin and working closely with the Operations and Membership Teams, you will be primarily responsible for the day-to-day accounting processes.
The Finance Administrator will work in support of the Head of Finance & Admin and will be responsible for managing accounts payables and receivables, payroll and benefits, bank deposits and reconciliation, government remittances and other duties to support the Head of Finance & Admin. The Finance Administrator will have the opportunity to develop the role and finance team to suite our growing needs.
You will have experience with full-cycle accounting functions, preferably in the not-for-profit sector and/or within a start-up, consultancy or small business. You are proficient with Quickbooks (online) and Excel. You have the initiative and confidence to make decisions, work independently, and work accurately to tight deadlines with a keen eye for detail to support our growing organization.
With the support of the Head of Finance & Admin, you will be accountable for the following duties:
- Accounts Receivable: Issuing membership, event, project invoices, as requested; following up in a timely manner on receivables due; updating the monthly A/R report.
- Accounts Payable: Securing approvals and issuing payments, as requested; reconciling monthly credit card statements and staff expenses.
- Banking: Responsible for bank deposits; reconciling the bank statements on a regular basis, including high volume Stripe credit card payments received.
- HR: processing RIA’s bi-weekly payroll via our Ceridian service provider; assisting with year-end payroll reconciliation and T4s; assisting with onboarding and offboarding of staff, including benefit enrollment & changes; oversee the tracking of RIA staff vacation, sick days, and other absences.
- Operations: Support the Operations Team with any financial requirements (refunds, receipts and reporting) to help deliver RIA’s programs and events; responsible for collecting and distributing RIA’s mail (majority of it financial related).
- Membership: Support the membership team with the membership renewal process, including tracking new and renewal member data.
- Reporting: assist the Head of Finance & Admin with data input for monthly management and quarterly board financial reporting; assist with annual budget preparation.
- Audit: Assist the Head of Finance & Admin with the annual audit.
- Compliance: manage and maintain compliance for all federal and provincial government remittances and other tax filings (payroll, G/HST QST, WSIB).
- Other: Other duties as assigned by the CEO, Head of Finance & Admin; assist the team with admin, program and event support, as required.
- Minimum 5 years of increasingly progressive experience in a bookkeeping role, preferably in the non-profit sector.
- Proficient in QuickBooks accounting software, Microsoft Excel and Word. The RIA also uses Ceridian, Google Drive, Salesforce, Dropbox, and Slack, so familiarity with these programs would be an asset.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Bilingualism (French and English) would be a valuable asset, but not required
- Meticulous attention to detail in all areas of work.
- Strong time management and prioritization skills.
- You have a deep respect for compliance, process and deadlines.
- You act with integrity, assume responsibility and take accountability.
- You are energized by the prospect of working for a purpose driven organization.
- Due to the nature of this position, the successful candidate will be required to pass a mandatory background check.
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary for a non-profit organization.
- Health and dental benefits after completing three-month probationary period.
- 6% RRSP contributions after one year of employment.
- $1,000 annual credit for professional development activities.
- $1,000 annual credit for wellness expenses.
- Three weeks of paid vacation (FTE), plus the RIA winter office closure between December 24th and January 1st.
- When it is safe to return to the office, you will work in a bright, modern office space in downtown Toronto with easy access to public transit.
- Be part of a small team of professionals who are helping to create positive societal change in the investment industry!
Please send your resume and cover letter as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Finance Administrator”. The filename of your PDF should follow the format, “FirstName – LastName – Application.” In your cover letter, please explain why you are interested in this position, and describe how your experience will enable you to succeed in this role.