Employer: Responsible Investment Association (RIA)
Location: Toronto (Exceptional candidates in Montréal or Vancouver will be considered)
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Start date: June or July, 2021
Application deadline: Please apply ASAP as interviews are booked on a rolling basis. This advertisement will be online until the position is filled.
About the Responsible Investment Association (RIA)
The Responsible Investment Association (RIA) is Canada’s industry association for responsible investment (RI). The RIA aims to drive the growth and development of RI in Canada, with a vision to align capital with sustainable and inclusive development as codified in the Paris Agreement and the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Our members include asset managers, asset owners, advisors, and service providers who support these objectives.
Due to the pandemic, our staff are working remotely and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to the office. We expect this will be no sooner than September, and we will adapt our timeline as needed to ensure the safety of our staff. Our office is located at 111 Peter Street in downtown Toronto. Exceptional candidates in Montréal or Vancouver would be considered for a remote position.
The RIA is a strong proponent of diversity and strives to foster an inclusive workplace culture driven by purpose, wellness, development, and productivity. We encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups, including but not limited to: Black and Indigenous communities, people of colour, women, members of the LGBT2Q+ community, and people experiencing disabilities.
As Manager, Research & Insights, you will join a small team of ten staff members working to advance responsible investment (RI) in Canada. You will manage and execute research projects, and you will be our in-house writing specialist and subject matter expert on the RI market. You will work collaboratively with cross-functional teams to develop and deliver insights, reports, and other educational content related to responsible investment and sustainable finance.
Research & Analysis
- Conduct research on the market for responsible investing. Major research projects include the Canadian Responsible Investment Trends Report, RIA Investor Opinion Survey, and more.
- Manage small and large research projects from inception to delivery, in collaboration with cross-functional teams.
- Design research questionnaires and methodologies.
- Collect and analyze market data via surveys and desk research.
- Prepare research summaries for the CEO.
- Present research findings at industry events.
- Write educational content for the RIA’s website, online courses, infographics, explainer videos, and other channels.
- Curate content for the RIA’s monthly newsletters.
- Review and provide feedback on others’ written work.
- As we are a small team, the Manager, Research & Insights is expected to help with other tasks as needed to support the success of the organization.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field of study such as business, social sciences, statistics, or sustainability with a focus on research and a track record of outstanding academic performance.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a professional research & writing role, preferably with a think tank, research firm, consultancy, or NGO.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Teams.
- Familiarity with the following software would be an asset: Google Drive, Dropbox, Slack, Salesforce, Apple Pages, Formstack, and SurveyMonkey.
- Bilingualism (French and English) would be a valuable asset.
All applicants must possess strong competencies in these five areas:
- Research – You are an experienced researcher, ideally with publications to your credit and competencies in qualitative and quantitative methods.
- Writing – You have outstanding writing skills, and you can easily adapt your writing style for research or web content as needed. You have the ability to communicate complex ideas in a clear, concise, and cogent manner.
- Data Management, Analysis & Visualization – You are able to manage & analyze data effectively and create compelling charts.
- ESG Knowledge – You have demonstrable knowledge of the market for ESG and sustainable finance.
- Project Management – You have experience managing collaborative projects.
- You are a “high achiever,” never satisfied with less than excellent outcomes.
- You are highly organized and efficient with your time.
- You are industrious & adaptable, and you have an entrepreneurial mindset. In other words, you have a way of thinking that enables you to overcome challenges, be decisive, and accept responsibility for your outcomes.
- You are savvy with digital platforms, willing and able to quickly learn software applications that are new to you.
- You are happy to perform tasks outside your job description to help your colleagues.
- You are passionate about societal issues such as sustainability and inclusion.
What’s in it For You
- Competitive salary for a non-profit organization.
- Health and dental benefits after completing three-month probationary period.
- 6% RRSP contributions after one year of employment.
- $1,000 annual credit for professional development activities.
- $1,000 annual credit for wellness expenses.
- Three weeks of paid vacation (FTE), plus the RIA winter office closure between December 24th and January 1st, for a total of four weeks of paid time off.
- When it is safe to return to the office, you will work in a bright, modern office space in downtown Toronto with sit-stand desks and nearby access to public transit. Exceptional candidates in Montréal or Vancouver would be considered for a remote position.
- Be part of a small team of professionals who are helping to create positive societal change in the investment industry!
How to Apply
Please read these instructions carefully. Applications that do not follow these instructions will not be considered.
Please prepare your application as a single PDF, composed of the following materials in the following order:
- Cover Letter – Your cover letter should explain why you are interested in this position and why you would be an asset to the RIA. The cover letter should be no more than one page.
- Résumé – Your résumé should be between 1-3 pages, and it should include links to any publications (with your byline) that may support your application.
- Short Essay or Article – Write a clear and cogent essay or article between 500-1,000 words. You may write this piece in the style of an essay or an op-ed article. Choose one of the following themes and demonstrate subject matter knowledge while making any argument you want: (a) investor stewardship; (b) impact investing; (c) net zero portfolios; (d) transition finance; (e) investing for diversity & inclusion. Assume your audience is composed of investors and investment professionals who are familiar with responsible investment, but not specialists. All references should be properly cited. Contributions will be analyzed for plagiarism. The successful candidate’s work may be published on the RIA website with their byline.
- Transcript – Candidates with less than five years of experience in a professional research role are required to submit their graduate school transcript(s).
Send your application as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Manager, Research & Insights.” The filename of your PDF should follow the format, “FirstName_LastName_Application.”